Possible new Whisper model

General chat place.

Possible new Whisper model

Postby whisper » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm

Shown below is a rough rendering of a possible new Whisper model.

Be keen to hear any comments!
Attachments
WHISPER_proposed.JPG
WHISPER_proposed.JPG (61.59 KiB) Viewed 14816 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby jonimike » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Great stuff!!

What will it do on 80 donkeys?

Certainly looks the business!!
jonimike

Postby Johan Nortje » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:10 am

A lot of guys want speed. But what will the fuel consumption be.
Will its still have the same fuselage with shorter wings? what about aerobatics. Something between an express and a RV.

I think I will be the first to try it, must first sell ZU-JWN.

Are you going the build a lighter fuselage.

I think it will a winner for the non-glider pilots

Cheers
Johan Nortje

Postby whisper » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:52 am

Hi Johan and Mike,
If we develop this machine it will be for the market sector that currently flies an RV. I have flown RV's quite a bit and have every respect for Van's design with its wide speed range and short field ability. It is a gorgeous aircraft BUT it must be kept very light and it must have at least 160Hp to make it perform well with those short wings. The snag is that Lycomings need avgas and lots of it and that is going to be a problem in Africa soon (I think).
Also the RV is made of "blik" and I personally prefer composites!
The Whisper X would be designed specifically for the Jab 120 ....not the Jab85. The take off performance would be too marginal with the 85Hp and those short wings (ala KR2).
ALL hardware would be identical to the other 2 Whispers but the empennage will move 1m forward and the fuselage mould changed accordingly.
The wing section to use is still in question but may be the NACA 23013.5 (ala RV) or maybe something else with a proven record in a similiar aircraft.

Cost wise it will be cheaper to build than a Whisper due to the reduced material used in the wings. The completed cost will therefore be a fraction of the cost of an RV. 150kts is the cruise speed expected which is a little less than a fixed pitch RV6 but fuel burn will be a lot less (probably 20-25l/hr). 150kts is still a good x-country speed though.
We will certainly make it strong enough for basic positive g aerobatics (like an rv).

The fuselage will be slightly lighter as well as the carry through spar. Empty weight should be around 370kg with fixed pitch wooden prop.

It will have flaps and will be available as a nosewheel.
I guess we had all better start saving for a jab 120Hp :D
Attachments
whisper_X.jpg
whisper_X.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 14790 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby Johan Nortje » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Why waiting, lets start building. If you have buyer for a pair off long whisper wings, I will try to buy Girrie's kit. It is still "in the Box". You make the new wings and I start building the Fuselage. and before the end of 2007 she will fly!!!!!!
Cheers
Johan
Johan Nortje

Postby jamie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Russel
Looks absolutly Fabulous. Typical however ... my whisper aint airborne yet and the mind is thinking of the next project. Will be attending Oshcosh this year for that very reason. The question is however is ...is 150 kt enough ? With speeds like this one might reason that the design is nearing the lanceair and glassair league. In your ""proposed "" photo the nose cone might be a tad narrow as I have found with the adaption I am nessesitated to make using the type 4 with a fuel injection system. If the design keeps the gracefull lines of the predisesor and adds the SPEED THING it willcertainly have me interested. Good luck
regards jamie
jamie

Postby whisper » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:05 am

The jab fits nicely behind the 250mm spinner as does the VW provided you don't have too much on top of the engine such as the manifold for the fuel injection. Anything more than 150kts will be a bonus....!
Enjoy Oshkosh!
whisper
Site Admin

Re: Possible new Whisper model

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 am

Hi Russel, any further news on the possible new whisper x. With the cost of rv's this will be a great alternative. Please let us know what is happening
Regards
Jeffrey Grebe
Jeffrey

Postby putco » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 am

Hi Russel

Any updates on this model? Look like the perfect machine, heck l may just sell the Thorp for it :D

Cheers
putco

Postby whisper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 pm

The Whisper X (still need to figure out the final name!) is progressing well at the moment. The fuselage plug shape is finalised and now it is just micro, sand, micro, sand etc.......

Contrary to the original posting this will be a Lycoming 0-320/360 powered machine with specs similiar to an RV7.
Attachments
X4.JPG
X4.JPG (63.02 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
X3.JPG
X3.JPG (83.46 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
X2.JPG
X2.JPG (78.2 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
X1.JPG
X1.JPG (71.32 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
whisper
Site Admin

Next