Possible new Whisper model

General chat place.

Re: Possible new Whisper model

Postby whisper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 pm

envelope expanded to 218MPH.....nearly there!

230MPH is the planned VNe
whisper
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:48 pm

finally found an RV to fly next to....Thanks Roy for our short formo sortie. The good news is that the X easily holds its own against an RV6 (with constant speed prop)!! In fact it seems quite a bit faster... Screenshot below at the end of our formo sortie....there was a light tailwind so the 180kts is more like 170kts or so.
Today was also the fist flight with near full tanks. Climb test at 120kts (cruise climb) averaged around 1100'/min.
Attachments
photo.png
photo.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 11335 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whisper-A ... 2652030711

most recent postings re performance etc
whisper
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words they say!! :D
Attachments
!!!.jpg
!!!.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 10160 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 am

Pic from The John Miller photo shoot. Keep an eye on the SA Flyer :D
Attachments
LRJohn Miller Whisper X ZU-GAB_1812.jpg
LRJohn Miller Whisper X ZU-GAB_1812.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 9462 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm

John Miller just sent this one through. He says sea and beach backgrounds are boring!!!
Attachments
john7lr.png
john7lr.png (501.14 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby Ed Fleming » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi All

May I pose a few questions about this aircraft?

Firstly may I offer my congratulations on designing such a great looking and performing aircraft! When I first saw it I thought "that looks just like an RV." But when I actually compared them I realised how wrong I was. The X is WAY better looking! The RV is positively short and fat by comparison.

I have been dreaming about building an RV-7 for nearly 10 years. The time is now just about right but it is sobering to realise that in that time the price of an RV kit has gone up about $5000! However with the wealth of information available, mostly through detailed online build logs, I have got to a point where I am extremely confident that building an RV is something I could do. However I do not have anything like that kind of confidence regarding a composite aircraft. Zero experience, Next to zero knowledge. Is there any way you could make your Whisper X build log available to me? I will need to know much more about what lies ahead of me before ordering a kit. Also does anyone recommend any other online sources that could help me, perhaps build logs of other similar aircraft?

Next a few more specific questions!

What is the arrangement for pitch trim? I cannot see any tabs, nor any controls in the cockpit!

How are the flaps actuated? I can see what looks like possibly a manual flap lever behind the stick but how practical is this since you would need to either reach over or take your hand off the stick to operate it?

Is there provision for aircraft lighting? Conduits in the wings? If not how easy would it be to do?

How does the fuel system work? I have seen the main tank installation in the motor glider build log and assume that you kept this the same and added the aux tanks, is this correct? Where did you put them? Do they drain or pump into the main, or do they feed the engine directly? What is your fuel quantity indication system?

Did you fit another prop to the aircraft yet? For the speed check at 170 you posted above, what was the prop and power setting?

Ok, that should do for now, thanks for your attention!

Ed
Ed Fleming

Postby whisper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 am

Hi Ed
Answers below:

Is there any way you could make your Whisper X build log available to me? I will need to know much more about what lies ahead of me before ordering a kit. Also does anyone recommend any other online sources that could help me, perhaps build logs of other similar aircraft?

Start by looking at http://www.whisperaircraft.blogspot.com this is a motorglider build but all the methods are very similiar
I can also give you links to a lot of other info on the X build specifically.

Next a few more specific questions!

What is the arrangement for pitch trim? I cannot see any tabs, nor any controls in the cockpit!

The prototype has no trim system at present but will soon have a bungee bias system. Amazingly there is virtually no trim change across the entire speed range.

How are the flaps actuated? I can see what looks like possibly a manual flap lever behind the stick but how practical is this since you would need to either reach over or take your hand off the stick to operate it?
All future X's will have electric flaps. The only reason the prototype has a manual system is that I wanted to "feel" the forces involved during my tests to set flap speeds

Is there provision for aircraft lighting? Conduits in the wings? If not how easy would it be to do?
There are four 38mm holes from root to tip.

How does the fuel system work? I have seen the main tank installation in the motor glider build log and assume that you kept this the same and added the aux tanks, is this correct? Where did you put them? Do they drain or pump into the main, or do they feed the engine directly? What is your fuel quantity indication system?

extract from flight manual with sketch attached
FUEL SYSTEM

Main tank
The main fuel tank is a single aluminium fuel tank of 80 litre capacity situated ahead of the instrument panel. This has a single outlet which feeds the engine via a fuel cock (V1), gascolator (G) and mechanical engine driven pump (P1) in series with an emergency electrical pump (P2). The fuel system penetrates the firewall at the point indicated as (f/w). A sight gauge fuel level indicator (SG1) is mounted in the instrument panel with markings calibrated for flight attitude and ground attitude.
The fuel filler cap (FC) is situated on the front deck just ahead of the canopy and is accessed through an inspection cover.

Auxiliary tanks
There are 3 aux tanks below the main tank. Total capacity of all three aux tanks is 110 litres. A sight gauge (sg2) shows the level of fuel in aux C only. Aux A,B and C are interconnected with aux C, with aux C the highest hence if fuel is visible in the sight gauge it means that aux A and B are full

Fuel system breather
All tanks are connected to a single breather which is situated under the left side of the fuselage just ahead of where the left undercarriage leg exits the fuselage. It is vital that this breather is kept clear at all times or engine stoppage will occur.

Filling of auxiliary tanks
The aux tanks are filled from the main tank by opening valves V2 and V3. This can only be performed whilst on the ground as V3 cannot be opened with the canopy closed.

Transfer of fuel from aux to main
This is achieved by opening valve V2 and running pump P3. Ensure that you do not overfill the main tank as this fuel will be dumped overboard via the breather (ensure that you mark the full position on the sight gauge accurately – in cruise attitude!)

Fuel level indication is by sight gauge. I am also currently fitting a differential pressure transducer which will feed the MGL fuel level data based on pressure head

Did you fit another prop to the aircraft yet? For the speed check at 170 you posted above, what was the prop and power setting?

I still have not fitted the Whirlwind prop. It requires a different spacer etc. It is on the "to do" list. The wooden prop is however performing very well and I am comfortable taking it over 2700RPM.

Accurate results from a triangular course flow and timed by stopwatch were:

Flew a triangular 14.3nm course today at various power settings and accurately timed the laps.
2700rpm and 24.5" = 166.1 kts
2800rpm and 25.8" = 170.5 kts
2850rpm and 26.5" = 172.2 kts

All at about 500' above sea level. Loss of speed at 2 turning points not considered hence actual speeds slightly better than above

2850/26.5" is in fact 180Hp (100% power). A coarser prop and a higher MP would therefore probably yield the same speed.

Ok, that should do for now, thanks for your attention!

Ed[/quote]
Attachments
fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg (334.66 KiB) Viewed 9297 times
whisper
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm

watch this space :D
Attachments
carbs.jpg
carbs.jpg (218.26 KiB) Viewed 9029 times