Performance

General chat place.
Johan Nortje

Performance

Post by Johan Nortje » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:05 pm

Performance Details

I want to ask Russel or the owners of completed Whispers to post all the performance details of the different engine tipes. Details like climb rate, take off distance, max speed, cruise speed etc.
I know that the following engines are in use the current Whispers: NL. Aerovee, Rotex 912ULS, Jabiru 2200, Jabiru 3300, and Subaru.

It will be interesting to know how they compare with each other, and will also help builders to decide on what engine to install. It will also be interesting to compare engine prices.

whisper
Site Admin

Re: Performance

Post by whisper » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Good idea Johan.
A number of builders have fuel flow gauges installed. Maybe a good start is to hear what fuel flows / rpms they are getting with the various engines during say:
1) full power climb
2) full throttle straight and level
3) economy cruise (say 160km/h)
4) max endurance flight (105km/h)

alf zimmermann

Post by alf zimmermann » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes I agree on the information Russell but at the same fuel burn rate at climb, we should also indicate our climb rate, as with stronger engines our fuel rate will be higher and so will our climb rate be.
Will test mine this weekent and sent "highvelt Specs. ALFZ Witbank :D

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Fri May 23, 2008 2:28 pm

My Jab 6 Cylinder off the top of my head is around 40 litres/hour at full throtttle........which i only use on take off 3100rpm
Then as i throttle back to 2800rpm it comes down to 20 litres/hour
From there down to 2200rpm it comes down to 14litres/hour
Generally speaking i am burning around 17 litres per hour and that is cruising around 90 Knots IAS.
Not bad at all.
The motor has done 84 hours and the consmuption seems to be getting bettter as she loosens up.

:D