Pieter Visser

Share details of your Whisper project with the community.

Re: Pieter Visser

Postby whisper » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:11 pm

At least now you know for sure that people are reading your story!!!
Keep it up!!!
whisper
Site Admin

Postby Pieter001 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:03 pm

:lol:
Hey, then the readers are wide awake too!

Excellent, I hope and trust this build log serves to guide and maybe inspire someone to actually take the step one day and build a plane. If I can do it, I think anyone can ;)

The blending of the resin, indeed. I did not know what one calls it, but yes, the actual resin to hardener mixture remains a constant 1:0.33 (1 part resin to 0.33 hardener <AMPREG 21>), although the makeup of the 0.33 is 50% slow and 50% fast hardener, therein the "blending" term then. This ensures basically a slightly faster curing of the resin.

Bear in mind (this is for the people out there like me, who only now learned about this) that the EPOXY resin is very different to the POLYESTER resins one use. Polyester resin already has the hardener mixed into it, but it is "encapsulated", if I can describe it as such, in a chemical process, which then inhibits the release of the hardener into the resin. This means the resin has the potential to harden, but cannot as the inhibitor is active. Adding the CATALYST to this resin, actually serves to breakdown this inhibitor around the hardener, which then causes the resin to start curing. Also, because of this action, the more catalyst you add, the quicker the resin cures.

Now EPOXY resin leaves the mixing of the hardener into the resin for the user thereof and hence, you need a fairly decent scale (digital with 1gr increments is fine) to get the mixing done. Importantly, mixing in more hardener will NOT cause a quicker cure! It simply means your mixing is less than ideal and likely will not harden at all!

I trust this is useful info for someone, it took me 43 years to find this out :lol:

Tuesday I'm sheeting my rudder, cannot wait :P
Pieter001

Postby Pieter001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Covered the RH aside of my rudder and I think it went fine. Took a while and rubbed in the micro, but my resin was maybe a tad dry in areas.
Will post pictures in the morning.
20150616_142559.jpg
Rudder with micro 1
20150616_142559.jpg (252 KiB) Viewed 7869 times
Pieter001

Postby Pieter001 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:53 am

I decided to route a wire for a nav light to the rudder. I used flexible plastic straws for this purpose, I decided a little too late that I'm going to do this.

:idea: Take note, if you wish to run wires, plan it before you cover your rudder!

As my carbon was already in place, I did not want to sacrifice any strength in my structure, so I decided to follow the furthest edge of the carbon and dremel out a channel to micro the straws in. This will then be covered nicely by the next layer of carbon on the opposite side of the rudder. I think it worked out rather well ;) So I will have a nav light in the rudder and obviously I'll need to make a plan for the wings too now ;)

Also weighed my rudder and sheeted on the one side the weight comes in at 2.56kg, which is a good saving and worth all my efforts!

I've also made a rudder trim tab from alu, which I drilled for bonding and a made a line of 1.5mm holes on which to bend the trim tab if the need arises (hoping it won't of course ;) )

20150620_140441.jpg
Flexi straws used as conduit for NAV light wire
20150620_140441.jpg (249.87 KiB) Viewed 7815 times

20150620_145531.jpg
Straws microd in and curing
20150620_145531.jpg (243.44 KiB) Viewed 7813 times

20150621_195940.jpg
Rudder trim tab which will be bonded in
20150621_195940.jpg (282.82 KiB) Viewed 7813 times
Last edited by Pieter001 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pieter001

Postby Brett » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:11 pm

I like your trim tab Pieter. Good idea to put it in now.
Brett

Postby Pieter001 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:28 am

Thank you Brett. I thought it should be the best time for it and then there are no rivets or bolts ;)
Pieter001

Postby Pieter001 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:34 am

Ladies and Gents reading my build, thank you and I trust that you found it worthwhile thus far.

My intention is certainly to keep up the build and the log, but as life goes, things change.

I will be going to New Zealand for a 6 month project in Wellington and I'll be leaving in August. Thus, no build will be taking place, but I do intend working on strobe lights and all small matter of things I can while I'm in KIWI land. There is a possibility that the contract could extend over a 2 year time frame, or longer, but I'll not count my chickens yet.

Thus, updates will be slowish from my end, but thankfully Morne's thread is very entertaining and he's building at a tremendous pace too. So there will always be something to read and followup on.

I may post updates of my flying in NZ once I'm there on the Whisper forum of course ;)

Regards,

Pieter
Pieter001

Postby MNortier » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:31 am

Good luck Pieter,

At the end of the day it is the money that makes the world go around.....hope you back soon. We still need to do a Whisper sqaudron to Oshkosh 201? :D

Save travelling and blue skies!

Rgds

Morné
MNortier

Postby Pieter001 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:43 am

I quick note from Wellington NZ...

I've been here 6 months, my family for 3 and we are loving it! Also have my NZ PPL, which cost as much as my complete PPL! The flying is fantastic, beautiful scenery all round and every landing and TO is over amazing ocean. Wind can blow, no jokes!

Last year I even went snow skiing before the end of the season, which was pretty cool too!

My contract has been extended and we've applied for permanent residency in NZ, so things may change substantially soon...

I'll post some pics of the flying and the mountain flying, which is an obligatory part of PPL here I had to complete before getting my NZ PPL.

In Jan we did a 2 day trip to the south island with a Piper Warrior II rented from Wellington Aero Club. Flight was to Omaka airfield in Blenheim and there is the most amazing Aviation Heritage Museum, mostly setup it seems by Sir Peter Jackson! Do GOOGLE Omaka Aviation Heritage Museum, do yourself this favor, it is simply spectacular! Wish I can bring every one here to experience it!

Safe flying and enjoy your builds :D

Pieter
Pieter001

Postby Brett » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi Pieter
I am glad you are enjoying it there. I spent 3 months in NZ 2 years ago and also found it very beautiful. I hope you get your kit soon!!
Regards
Brett
Brett

PreviousNext

Return to My Whisper Project