Brett Williams - Whisper X Project

Share details of your Whisper project with the community.

Brett Williams - Whisper X Project

Postby Brett » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:02 pm

I have finally decided to cast aside my laziness and post some construction pics. I need to introduce Andries Ramape to you as he is actually building my plane with me as handlanger. He has been building Whispers for many years and is very skilled.

DISCLAIMER - So when I say I fitted or built something, I actually mean Andries. I could possibly be hovering in the background, but not always. I generally follow the dimensions in the manual and he does all the wet work, sanding, lay-ups etc. There are vast times where he works on his own as many components and sections he has built many times before. Below is Andries with our plane at the recent EAA convention in East London

IMG_0821.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0821.JPG.jpeg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 10788 times
Brett

Re: Brett Williams - Whisper X Project

Postby Brett » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Russell and Andries have made neat "ribs" that help closing the wing root fairing.. Today we flipped the plane to do the bottom. The top of the rib has been bonded to the top fairing already.

IMG_0951.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0951.JPG.jpeg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 10787 times
Brett

Postby Pieter001 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Brett,

You and Andries have done some good work and have gone a long way already, well done.

Are your wings done yet?

She is looking good :)

I'm at a intersection where life and work collide and as it goes, I had to choose work. This means that I'm out of action for a while again, but I'm hoping to be in a position soon enough where I can at least dedicate time to small tasks and get going again.

Keep it up on your end :D

Rgds,

Pieter
Pieter001

Postby Brett » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Pieter we finished the bottom skin and I am now going to cut the ailerons and flaps next. I need to buy some wood to support the closeout and rear spar like Russell has posted in his latest method of doing the rear spar. We will start on that this week hopefully. I am travelling past Heidelberg next week. I may pop in if that is ok with you.
Brett
Brett

Postby Pieter001 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi Brett,

I only see your message now, so sad.

Would love for you to come by anytime you are in Heidelberg :D

You can call me on 083 353 0987.

Sorry I missed you.

Regards,

Pieter
Pieter001

Postby Brett » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Next time :D
Brett

Postby Pieter001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:25 am

Morning Brett,

Do post a pic or 2 off your progress, I need inspiration ;)

I've not seen the latest from Russell on the rear spar and have always found this to be a gap in my education...

Also note that you mention the wing was only sheeted on the one side prior to cutting the ailerons and flaps, or am I misinterpreting this? Makes sense if one does it this way ;)

Regards,

Pieter
Pieter001

Postby Brett » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Pieter

You do the top skin first and then the bottom and then cut the ailerons and flaps etc

This weekend Russell helped me to get the plane nice an level and bond in place the front securing bolt aluminium tube on the h/stab. This has to be perfectly setup at 0 degrees incidence. I had a small issue where i needed a spacer on the one locating pin for the h/stab as the one pin is about 1.5mm further back than the other.

I am still trying to recover as my hangar was broken into last week and a compressor, drill press, grinder and some tools were stolen. Luckily the plane was not damaged and my Spruce hardware on the workbench was not taken. Even the scale was scaled!!

IMG_0051_2b.jpg
IMG_0051_2b.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 10201 times

IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 10201 times
Brett

Postby Pieter001 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:21 am

Morning Brett,

Ah, OK, so exactly as in the instructions for the wing then.

Taking time on setting up the HStab is critical indeed and seems you've got it nailed 100%, well done. Your work is looking good. I'll be finishing my main gear bulkheads this weekend and then move on to the rudder and HStab covering and fitting. I plan to cover the rudder and HStab with carbon. Making a new rudder shear web from carbon too, so quite a lot to do. With the long weekends coming up, I trust I can get good measure of work done.

Thank you for the pics, really nice to see :D

Sorry to hear about the break in, that sucks big time! Happy to hear your X and Spruce hardware is safe :D :D !!

Enjoy,

Pieter
Pieter001

Postby Pieter001 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Bret,

Did you get to sheet your rudder yet? Was it simple or are there pointers you can maybe share?

If all goes according to plan, I should sheet mine this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going to vacuum bag or not?

Regards,

Pieter
Pieter001

Next

Return to My Whisper Project