Mike's kit no 32

Share details of your Whisper project with the community.

Mike's kit no 32

Postby jonimike » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:44 am

Dearest co-enthusiasts,

I need to confess, I requested Russell to supply my kit in the Fast- Build option.

This is not because I am overawed, simply because I am bloody lazy :lol: , and of course I have very little time.

In due course, I shall enlighten you with my project's progress.

Regards,

Mike Visagie
jonimike

Postby skybound » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:44 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with that arrangement.

I am one to prefer the flying to the building - especially if you are without aircraft whilst building. :lol:
skybound

Post delivery first picture

Postby jonimike » Fri May 05, 2006 11:27 am

Very exciting times, first pics after delivery of the fast build kit
Attachments
DSC02202.JPG
First pic after delivery
DSC02202.JPG (65.7 KiB) Viewed 13892 times
jonimike

Building progress

Postby jonimike » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:24 am

My whisper is being built in potchefstroom by Jonker sailplanes.Wings!

The rudder pedals include the differential footbrakes.

Note the extra cutout on the spoiler indention to accommodate a slightly different design with spring retraction system.
Attachments
spoiler.JPG
spoiler.JPG (26.63 KiB) Viewed 13603 times
controls.JPG
controls.JPG (34 KiB) Viewed 13602 times
wings.JPG
wings.JPG (40.89 KiB) Viewed 13600 times
jonimike

Not nearly done

Postby jonimike » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Sadly, I fear I shall not be flying soon.

My aircraft is still several months away from flying, and this despite having paid in excess of R150 000-00 in LABOUR COSTS only, not including other hardware cost, or courier fees etc.

I am actually very despondent, and consider selling the project to get rid of the bloody frustration.
jonimike

Sorry to here about your problems

Postby Johan Nortje » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:09 am

Do not pay before you see results. But to tell the truth it will cost you close to R400 000.00 to complete te Whisper if you are not putting in some labour from your side. It ask at lot of time to complete a whisper, and when you building it yourself you normally do not divert your hours into money. Without labour, and I also made use of extra labour, my whispers cost R260 000 and R350 000. The Rotex 912S with woodcomp prop = R140 000. I got mine for a bit less.
But please hang in there. "Jy sal elke oomblik daarvan geniet, aan die einde van die dag soos ou Naas sou gese het."
Johan Nortje

Postby jonimike » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:32 am

Johan, (edited severely)

Unfortunately, the labour cost covers the project only thus far, it's not over by a long shot.

Also remember that this was a fast build kit.
Last edited by jonimike on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonimike

Comment

Postby Johan Nortje » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi Mike,
I see what you meen. You have the right to be upset.

The foam for the wing roots were precut by Whisper, they only had to fill in extra foam depending on your own design for the wingroots.

I think that if they had sticked to the manual there would not have been any problems. Were I used my own plans to short cut or to improve the design I came second.

I must tell all the builders, please stick to Russels design and to the manual and you will not have a problem.

The only design that I made and that I think works better than that of the prototipe, is the spoiler/airbrake lever. During the building proses of my second whisper I stick to the manual and everything works out 100%.

I personally think R37 000 for the wing roots is a rip off. The wing roots as well as the wing tips is a peach of cake, compare to the finishing of the wings itself. Give me one week and it is done. and remember you do not even use a lot of material.

I thing the spoilers work perfectly. I deploy them most off the time only 50% or less, and even the shorter spoilers (1 metre) on the express works 100% when I deploy them 50% or less. No need to change the design. The design is simple, works simple, and they will deploy every day and every time, in other words.
HULLE SAL JOU NOOIT IN DIE STEEK LAAT NIE. So why change the design.

I am sorry about all your trouble, but maybe it will still be the best to stick to your builders, but please tell them that Shadowlite (Jabiru) in George build a Whisper for R430 000 Vat incl. and that they must get their "g-t in rat" otherwise its will be the first and last Whisper that somebody will asked them to build.

Voorspoed!!!!
Last edited by Johan Nortje on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Nortje

Sorry buddy

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:28 pm

Mike....

Mate I am so sorry to hear about your frustrations. I too have built a white elephant (classic car) in the past, and I had spent so much money on it that I had to finnish it to justify starting it. I eventually sold the car 'cos it gave me no joy.... I think that the 'plane is a different kettle of fish, and I urge you to continue. I am surprised that a company woul choose to significantly challenge a ratified design, and would perhaps try to put the onus on them for at least some of the labour. the damage to the wings also should be claimed back from the transport company, or else whoever signed for the delivery ( the signature denotes the fact that the goods are in good condition) If the goods were damaged in transit, the person who accepted delivery should have specified the extent of the damage before signing. I would really be looking at who is to blame. Being a fairly big bloke and having to deal with poor service on a daily basis I get very short with bad service. I would have a meeting with the builders, and lay down a schedule, with penalty clauses for not making target dates. You are not stupid, but these guys seem to be taking you for a ride.... I am not in the country, but also please let me know if you need any support and I will contact you.

We are all here to support each other, and it is terrible that you are having second thoughts.....Hang loose mother goos, and "vasbyt"

Cheerio from here downunder

Brad
Brad

Postby jonimike » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Brad,

(Edited)
To their credit, they are repairing it, but I can certainly do without the frustration.
Last edited by jonimike on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonimike

Next

Return to My Whisper Project