John Olsson

Share details of your Whisper project with the community.
navajo

Re: John Olsson

Post by navajo » Thu May 29, 2008 7:00 pm

News and views headlines - 28th July 2099

Ollies Whisper completed. To think people used to fly in these things at the turn of the century! I wonder what that zimmerframe thing was used for back then in the past? :D

ollie

Post by ollie » Sat May 31, 2008 6:01 pm

Navajo - remember I know were you live and its not all that far from the airfield - even reachable in a zimmerframe with the glide angle of a brick. Just because ZU-OLY has taken over your mantle as the "six week aircraft" no need to take the P!!!!

ollie

Re: ZU-OLY at Shadowlite

Post by ollie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:19 am

The show goes on the the pace quickens. The zimmer is nearing completion - we hope.
Watch this space and Bain's move over!!!!!!
Attachments
ZU-OLY body prep for paint4.jpg
ZU-OLY body prep for paint4.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
ZU-OLY body prep for paint2.jpg
ZU-OLY body prep for paint2.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
ZU-OLY body prep for paint.jpg
More sandpaper anybody?
ZU-OLY body prep for paint.jpg (94.76 KiB) Viewed 5947 times

brian nightingale

Post by brian nightingale » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:27 am

hi John keep up the good work we need more photos of whats going on at shadowlite we have a interest in one of the whispers..Brian ( australia)

navajo

Post by navajo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:51 am

ollie wrote:The show goes on the the pace quickens. The zimmer is nearing completion - we hope.
Watch this space and Bain's move over!!!!!!
I heard that there will be a further delay on the zimmer. They have taken so long that the paint faded in the tin and they are waiting for the delivery of new paint. Pics look good!

Holding thumbs.

ollie

Post by ollie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:15 am

Navajo - zoom in on the masking newspaper for the headlines. Some place called Mafeking has been relieved!!!!!!!!!

navajo

Post by navajo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:07 pm

ollie wrote:Navajo - zoom in on the masking newspaper for the headlines. Some place called Mafeking has been relieved!!!!!!!!!
Look more carefully! That's not newspaper, its papyrus!

ollie

Re: Zimmer de-rusted

Post by ollie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:54 am

Yes everyone the end is in sight? We now have an all white zimmer with engine. Now we sort out panel layout and place to stow my pension book. Hope to visit Shadowlite next week. Deffinately happy with my choice of engine prop (thanks Sean and Gary for advise and bullying) having seen the 80hp Whisper struggle last week at our altitude.
Bains - watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Attachments
ZU-OLY painted2.jpg
Last cake with iceing broke my tooth!!!
ZU-OLY painted2.jpg (96.71 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
ZU-OLY painted1.jpg
I wounder if they do them in bloodshot?
ZU-OLY painted1.jpg (103.4 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
A Star is born.jpg
Dont touch the paint!!!!
A Star is born.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 5839 times

ollie

Post by ollie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 am

Chose the worste possible weather to visit Shadowlite and foolishly dragged my long suffering wife along with promisses of a lovely break with the Meerkat Man in osterich country. Needless to say howling freezing gales and no Meerkat Man as the Meerkats had more sense and stayed down their burrows!!!
Len and Les rolled out the red carpet and you can see Len just wants the three current projects finished and out of his hair as he needs both the space and resources to meet the demands of the Jabiru business which appears to be booming. Sorry guys but they are currently homeing in on ZU-OLY to get out of the factory for end of the month. All mechanicals are complete on all three aircraft (airbreaks etc), engines mounted and cowlings configured.It is the labouriouse and time consuming sanding/priming and finishing. I have the dubiouse honour of having a number of people resigning from Shadowlite according to Len as they just get totally fed up of all that sanding!!!
Build quality is high and Len adds little features based on experience to date and customer feedback but I can guarantee he is sorry he ever took these projects on. It was great talking to him given his wealth of experience particularly in terms of panel layout etc.
Bottom line is I still think they will be hard pushed to complete by end of July but the threat of excessive amounts of chocolate cake to "celebrate" the anniversary of the kit delivery to Shadowlite appears to motivate all. Watch this space!!!
Just to close off the visit our flight back to Joburg was delayed fby 6 hours while Kalula sourced a replacement aircraft as ours had a bird strike in its right engine on the approach into George airport and was grounded. Did I also mention that I had flue and spiking temperatures like you could not believe. Who said owning a Whisper was easy!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Sardines (Small).JPG
Can't swing a cat!!!
Sardines (Small).JPG (35.7 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Engines fitted (Small).JPG
Now where is that prop???
Engines fitted (Small).JPG (43.3 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
More Sanding (Small).JPG
Will the sanding ever end!!!!
More Sanding (Small).JPG (34.25 KiB) Viewed 5782 times

ollie

I can see clearly now!!!!

Post by ollie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:42 am

Not only is the light getting bigger - I can hear the wheels!!!!!!!
As you can see canopy being fitted so now we await finalisation of panel and arrival of Airmaster prop. Bring on the chocolate cake!!! :lol:
Attachments
ZU-OLY Canopy1 (Small).jpg
Does the colour match my eyes???
ZU-OLY Canopy1 (Small).jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
ZU-OLY Canopy2 (Small).jpg
With or without wipers???
ZU-OLY Canopy2 (Small).jpg (45.25 KiB) Viewed 5728 times