ZU-ENN "Extreme Makeover"

Share details of your Whisper project with the community.

Re: ZU-ENN "Extreme Makeover"

Postby Johan Nortje » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 am

Thanks Russel, I think I have work to do in the New Year. I do not want to hear a motor glider in the air, it must run dead silent. ZU-EID sounds like a VW with a broken exhaust.
Johan Nortje

Postby PeterB » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:57 pm

wathc this space
Attachments
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG (49.97 KiB) Viewed 7908 times
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Stuart is finally complete and many many issues finally ironed out.
Awaiting Authority to Fly so i can finally bring ENN home :D :D :D
PeterB

Postby whisper » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 pm

That new big spinner matches the cowl perfectly......EISH tooooo pretty!

Now we just need to persuade you to put back the spats!!

Then again maybe the "Bush Whisper" look will suit those Kalahari and NAM trips that you are planning!!
whisper
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 am

Yes the Spats are great looking.
Need our man Stuart to manufacture some to fit my tyres 8)

Maybe i will have to wait another year first :twisted:

All i can say is what has been done has been well worth the wait. :D :D :D

On the other hand quite like the fact that i can discriminate myself from those guys with "Long Chips on there wings" :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hey Ollie Boh :lol:
PeterB

Postby ollie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:27 am

Mr Bains you know I have been on a diet and haven't eaten "long chips" in ages!!!!
ZU-OLY nearly there. Manfred hopes to finish all fettling by Wednesday 16th and Legair refitting engine 22nd (anniversary of original collection from George).Gary or Sean to do the test flight and the all systems go to bang in the circuits between Christmas and New Year :D
If you ask Santa nicely maybe, just maybe, you can get extensions to those short stubby wings of yours??????
ollie

Postby PeterB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:00 pm

hey guys
Tioday i spent the day with Uncle Stuart and we had fun :D :D :D

We took the Express with the fancy cowl and ally pedals and brakes and luggage bin and refined ailerons that are sooo soooooooo smooth that you only need 2 fingers to move them around :D :D :D :D :D :D

and we cruised around St Francis and J-Bay like we were on holiday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then we had some nice rooibos tea and eventually i left for PE with Stu :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D bigtime as now he can get on with some other work and now he has some hangar space for :lol: :lol: :lol: himself

and if lew back in a 20 gusting 30 knot easterly with my fancy seat belts and Zulu Lightspeed headset and Man oh Man :shock: :shock: 8) 8) :D :D :D

I felt like a Million Dollars Brothers 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeterB

Postby Johan Nortje » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:11 am

Hi Peter/Stuart,
Please post details of your aileron upgrade, What did you mean by refined?
Mine are still very heavy.
Johan
Johan Nortje

Postby whisper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm

By adding fixed tabs to both ailerons (deflected upwards) it is possible to change the "feel" of the ailerons. Being an under cambered wing section there is a lot of upload on the ailerons in flight. The ailerons have a 2:1 differential throw meaning that the up going aileron has twice the mechanical advantage of the down going aileron and hence over powers it. This can result in a "dead" feel to the ailerons (it varies between aircraft depending on the exact bellcrank adjustment etc). On the Express the tabs definitely make the ailerons feel more normal (spring back to neutral) and reduces friction by lessening compressive load in pushrods and hence friction in the bushes.
On the mglider one can also tweak the feel by using tabs. I recently added tabs to ZU-FDI. I started with tabs 1300 long and about 35mm wide. This gave a lot of "spring back" (centering effect). I progressively trimmed them until I was happy with the feel (about 25mm).
We have a mould to make lightweight fibreglass tabs of a suitable angle and stiffness which you can either rivet on or bond on. Remember that mass must be kept to a minimum and the max residual momemt as per the manual must be adhered to.
whisper
Site Admin

Postby Johan Nortje » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks Russell,
I will install aluminium tabs tomorrow and bend them till the ailerons feel right, and then make a pair with fibreglass If I fail to get them right I will ask you to make me a pair.
I think maybe my bellcrank needs adjustment too.
Johan Nortje

PreviousNext

Return to My Whisper Project